Monday, January 17, 2011
Chicken Pot Pie
Mama's Got Pneumonia Shortcut Chicken Pot Pie
Makes about 6 servings
2 cups chicken
2 cups chicken broth, fresh is best!
1/2 cup white wine (optional use more broth if you don't want to use wine)
1 large sprig rosemary, or 1 tsp dried, separated
4 sage leaves or 1 tsp dried, separated
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion
2 stalks of celery, sliced thinly
3 carrots, either small cubes or sliced thinly
5 or 6 mushrooms (which I also had to leave out as Music Man is allergic)
1/2 c frozen green peas (you can use more, I'm the only pea liker in our house, so I have to go skimpy on them), run under warm water to thaw
1/2 c frozen corn (I used corn frozen last fall from the local harvest), also run under warm water to thaw
3 T flour (I use white whole wheat, but any will do)
5 oz fat-free evaporated milk
Make your favorite biscuit recipe to accompany, add a little sage to the biscuits for a nice accent to the filling. Pat them a bit thin or they may be gummy. Place biscuit dough on top of filling just prior to baking.
1. Place the chicken, broth, wine (if using) 1/2 rosemary & 1/2 sage in medium pan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and cook uncovered for 15 minutes at a gentle boil. Remove from heat and let cool enough to handle. Set aside one cup of broth mixture and chop chicken into bit size chunks, or pull if preferred.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a deep 8" or so inch pie plate with cooking spray.
3. In deep sauce pan (or dutch oven like I use), add onion, celery, mushrooms and carrots with olive oil. Saute until crisp tender. Stir in flour and cook for about 2 minutes.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the milk and reserved broth, adding reserved spices. Add peas and corn. Return to heat and cook stirring constantly until the mixture boils and thickens. Add chicken chunks.
5. Pour chicken into prepared dish. Place biscuits over top. Lightly spray with cooking spray. Bake for about 10 minutes, then lower heat to 350 degrees and bake until the biscuits are golden, about 20 additional minutes.