Thursday, August 7, 2008

It's a start

Well, friends, family and good folk alike...you've encouraged me to start writing and so I thought I'd start here. A little background about me would assist you in deciding that perhaps I've got something to say, and perhaps I don't. I never know for sure if anyone else will even care about my escapades. My life is a little amusing, a little frustrating, a lot of struggle but mostly fulfilling. I never know if I'm supposed to give out very much info in these things, or even how much is enough so I'll just give a little info for those who may be wondering what I'm all about.

I'm the mostly stay at home mom of two wonderfu, crazy, loud and at times completely frustrating little boys. One is 5 (we'll just call him Maestro) the other is 4 (Little Red is his moniker, the hair and the temper match the name so well). I'm married to a loving, smart, hard working, honest packrat, we'll call him Music Man. We live in a smallish town in Southern New Hampshire that's known mostly for it's apple orchards. I love living here, but wish it was closer to the ocean which is right up there on the top of the list of loves for me. I'm a bit of an environmentalist (I'm sure you'll see me go off on those topics from time to time), I love nature (it's my church, really). I consider myself a Quaker, but we don't have a meeting house in our area, so I worship in solitude to some extent. I love my boys with all my heart, but do find that being a stay at home mom can be very isolating at times. Sometimes I have to work to actually get dressed each day in clothes that match so that it doesn't look like I let the boys pick out my wardrobe for me. This will become even more important as both boys are starting school in just a few weeks for the first time and I will need to be sure to get out of the jammies before I embarrass them to death someday by picking them up in my tattered (most favoritist!) flannel pants.





I also am an amateur gardener and have had my little plot to feed my family for the last 3 years. My mom was my inspiration for that. She has the most beautiful little garden and even though she has some disabilities, she has adapted those raised beds (with the help of my father, of course) so that she can grow her own little bits of vegetable heaven each season. So, I call her from time to time with questions like "what is that fuzz all over the zucchini leaves (powdery mildew, don't even get me started on this topic)" or "are tomatoes supposed to be mealy when you pick them". Things like that which I could probably google and find just the same, but it's a very nice connection for me and my mom. My parents live about 3 hours away from me and I miss their company and wisdom.





One of my other loves in life is photography (which is another passion my mother shares with me). I'm told I have an eye for it, but just don't have the time right now to learn all I'd like to learn about it all and my camera, hoping that will come in time. I'll try to figure out how to post some photos here from time to time to see if I can make that work. I truly enjoy the art of photography and hope to get a digital camera (a Nikon D80 is my hopes, I'm watching that price just waiting for the below $500 to happen). Right now I do all my serious stuff on a Nikon N65, which I love, but hate the processing costs and would be a better photographer if I didn't have to budget to get the developing done.





I aspire to be a homesteader and have recently joined the locavore movement of eating locally. I get a little giddy high when I can make a meal that is completely local, one I did not have to drive very far to obtain. I have my little garden of eden here and I am very fortunate to have many farmstands within a short distance from my home. I love reading about the local food movement and have recommendations for you...if you've not read Barbara Kingsolver's book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life run, don't walk to the library or bookstore and obtain a copy. She's funny, serious, informative and entertaining all at the same time. It's time well spent and will help you get on the path to understanding and embracing locavorism yourself. I also really enjoyed the book Plenty: One Man, One Woman and a Raucous Year of Eating Locally by Alisa Smith and JB Mackinnon. And any book by Michael Pollan would make my list as well. As you may be able to tell, I'm an avid reader, though also dabble a lot in mystery fiction. On a cold winter's night, you just never know what you'll find me snuggled down deep in the comforter, drinking a steaming cup of cocoa or tea and reading up on.

So, here ends my first blog entry. Man, I'm so totally inept with computers that I can't believe I'm even doing this. Good thing Music Man is a computer geek, otherwise I'd be lost. Adios until next time! ~Peacemom

No comments: