Wednesday, April 25, 2012

YUMMY!

This new eating style rocks!  I'm up to so many fruits and veggies a day now, I can't even count. Some sort of fruits for breakfast, cooked veggies for lunch and a huge salad for supper, which includes 1 oz of nuts or seeds and lots of beans.  On the health train!

I am now obsessed with fruit smoothies for breakfast!  Lots of antioxidants and goodness in this glass.  In my attempt to add more and more fruits and veggies to my day, I'm having lots of them for breakfast.  Sooo good, and easy!  Give this one a try, I promise, you won't be sorry! (Also, great for my vegan friends!)

Morning Berries and Cream


1/2 c pomegranate juice (I use the one with blueberry added, made by POM)
1/4 c unsweetened almond milk (found in your health food section at the grocery store)
1/2 c frozen blueberries (or Wyman's makes a wonderful blueberry, raspberry and blackberry mix that's outstanding for this as well, just substitute for only blueberries)
1/2 c frozen strawberries
1/2 c frozen peaches
1 banana
1 Tbl ground flax seeds

Whip all ingredients in a blender until smooth and creamy.  Enjoy!

PS...the kids LOVE them, too!

Something that I'm finding kind of funny is that before I started this new nutrition based eating plan, I had a couple bad habits.  I would got to the grocery store, and from time to time,  I'd be hungry when I went shopping.  I know, I know, we're not supposed to shop hungry, but sometimes it happens.  Well, when that would happen, I would get myself a little cookie, or perhaps a muffin...baked goods are my total weakness.  Then I would snack on that on the ride home.  I also might get a soda to go with it, cause I craved soda.


Now, something interesting has happened.  With the increase in nutrients I'm giving my body, my cravings for these things has been greatly reduced.  They aren't gone yet, but they are sooo much less then they used to be.  I went to the market yesterday, and I was STARVING because the all veggie pita I had eaten 4 hours earlier was gone from my system.  I walked the store picking up things I might need, and they included stuff like sesame seeds, B vitamins (with no meat right now, I need to supplement that), lentils, carrots and kale.  I found some of my newest favorite snacks...roasted seaweed in sesame oil and grabbed a Kombucha to go.  Since giving up soda, I still do want a fizzy drink from time to time.  Kombucha is a naturally fermented mushroom drink with tea added (I know, it sounds vile but it's so delicious, especially with ginger added, and incredibly good for you.  It puts back the good gut bacteria in your body, much like yogurt does).  I looked at my face in the rear view mirror on my drive home.  Stuck to my mouth was a little piece of seaweed and a huge smile.  Finding health is a wonderful adventure.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Yay for you! Your smoothie looks fabulous. We sometimes look at our food and think - we eat SOOOOOO well! And you are right, when you do so(eat well) all that good stuff just tastes so darn delicious.