Thursday, February 11, 2010

Pinewood Derby Preparations

This picture that's the day in the life of Moi yesterday was Pinewood Derby car construction. This is Music Man and Maestro painting the car that will be speeding down the raceway tomorrow at the Pack Meeting. Maestro loves Cub Scouts, and I think he is getting a lot of fun out of it as well. It's a nice activity they can all do together one evening a week. They take Little Red even though he's not old enough to participate in things yet. A bunch of activities actually do allow siblings, so he gets to do some things. He can't wait to be old enough to dig in there himself.

As you can see, Maestro's car started out with the blue and green stripes and red sides. Then he got the inspiration to paint it like his favorite Formula 1 team and make it Ferrari red. Tonight as I type this they are down in the basement and the work bench (with Little Red POUNDING on the drums next to them) putting flames and numbers on it. I can't wait to see the finished product!

This morning I went to breakfast with a new friend of mine. Her son is Maestro's classmate, as well as his pack mate for Scouts. It feels really good to be making friends in our new town. I spent about 3 solid months very lonely, and decided that was my own doing if I didn't make the effort to get to know people. So, we ended up at a birthday party together for our son's friend and talked the whole three hours we were there. I took a shot at seeing if she wanted to get together for tea. We met at the little restaurant here in town and spent an enjoyable time getting to know a little more about each other's lives. And today we did the same. She's very down to earth and though we don't share any political persuasions, we do seem to have some things in common. And we can laugh together at each other's children's antics, and that's a nice way to share with someone. Laughing is always tops on my preferred friendship activities, so was very happy to discover that was something we could give each other. It was also a relief to put the stress of worrying about the future job situation away for an hour and just chat and laugh, really nice relief. Plus, it's always fun to get to know other people's stories and thoughts. I enjoy that, and clicking with a person on a friend level is great as well. She did recruit me to help out with the book fair in a couple of weeks, so that will be fun, too.

I hear that I'm needed for applause for the completed Pinewood Derby car (and I'm gonna suggest he name it something besides that!), so I'll end here.

Wishing you flames and numbers in your own little racing adventures, ~Peacemom

No comments: